Sunday 15 May 2011

Boatbuilder Frank Lane Sings

Listening to Frank Lane singing the Irish song made me slightly tearful, not sad, but contemplative for a people who missed their homeland, one that I know so well. Frank sang with a quiet pitch and gently undulating voice. The song came from his good friend, John McKenna who recently passed away.













There's a dear little Island,
The land of my dreams,
The home of the fairies,
And the blue eyed Colleens,
of music and learning,
of virtue and prayer,
And please God some day I will go over there.

Chorus:
For my Mother was born in Kerry,
My Father came over from Cork,
They taught me to love old Ireland,
Since I was able to talk,
It's the greatest, the grandest, the saintliest land,
Under God's beautiful sky,
I loved it in my baby daip,
I'll love it til I die.

You may talk of Killarney, its lakes and its dales,
Of Dublin and Wicklow its hills and its dales,
But my Mother said girlie just wait til you see,
The place I was born in,
The banks of the Lee.

(Chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment